Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Easter Basket Fail - Managing Disapointment


Video HERE

My original intention here was to make a scroll saw basket from pallet wood using the natural grain of the wood to create movement and interest...


From the picture above you can see my intention to cut multiple pieces that would slot together creating dovetail keys to hold the sides together... I really did think that the wood would stand up to this design, but my cutting skills were not up to the task and further finessing pretty much caused these pieces to crack apart... It could have been an absolute disaster, but I don't just give up. Think, re-think and reflect.

Instead of scrapping the lot I decided to trim and adapt the main basket pieces to make them fit - It was an ugly process, definitely not carpentry skill, more like hacking and hammering (so more like my usual way with woodworking!) which left sizable gaps that no amount of filling would be able to remedy. I decided to embrace the rustic an go with it.

After gluing the tray together I realized that - although ugly - it was a solid base, so I started with a thin wash of white acrylic, then had a brain wave... It was never going to be pretty or smooth, so why was I trying to make it that way? I mixed a couple of scoops of filler powder with acrylic paint and plastered it all over the wood - particularly in the cracks - deliberately creating texture with brush strokes and lumps. Once dry I rubbed in acrylic yellow, green and blue in random patches that picked out the texture, and then I used a little - cheap and quite liquid - silver to blend and mix the colours into the surface. This creates a great pattern with movement and changes of density and colour that I really like, and will probably try again in a future - planned - project.

When the weather warms I will apply 2-3 coats of varnish to protect the surface - the filler has made it rather more porous than I would like. For the time being I have added a braided yarn handle, I will replace it with a more decorative one at a later date.

Like most things this was a learning experience. I have learned to be more patient and optimistic in the face of failure, and that sitting at a scroll saw in -7C is really not condusive to quality work - or continuing health.

Let your frustrations out.

Manage your disappointment.

Take a step back and look at the parts that do work.

Nothing is wrong with adapting your plan.

Everything is educational.

Embrace the challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment