Thursday, November 1, 2018

Making Plant Pots (My herbicidal tendencies)


Video HERE

Anyone who has followed me on Fb for a while will recognize this aloe as the unfortunate little plant that I won in a raffle some 8 years ago that has survived my -limited- care and actually done quite well, despite being ignored for months on end...

This project didn't begin as a pot-making idea, but rather an exercise in scroll saw cutting. I had actually run out of my preferred thin blades and was limited to using the pin-fitting ones from the tin and I was looking to test the limitations of these - as they actually fit my machine without adapters. Off-camera I tested the cuts on gradually tighter curves and decided that this arc was about the best that I could cut whilst maintaining the line. From this point I started planning a project to use these blades and pallet wood.

I didn't really have a plan in mind, so I cut a number of strips with curves on one side and straight lines on the other, then complicated the idea by adjusting that idea for a hexagonal shape with graduated levels.

Given the opportunity to re-try these pieces I would have to adjust the width of the strips themselves, as there is a gap at the bottom of each curve, which means that water runs out, rather than through the soil - although in this case it does reduce the chances of over-watering.

As of Now - about 4 months after re-potting - Nigel is doing rather well on the windowsill in the bathroom, I give him a splash of water when I remember, but he is also able to gather moisture from the air. Boris is back on my windowsill, probably drier than is healthy, but looking OK generally. Once a month I place the pot in a shallow bowl of water, which might cause issues with the glue later on, but hasn't been a problem yet. I also managed to take two small cuttings as well, but only one of those has survived - he/she will be transferred to the other pot next year, when I have decided on a name... probably around March, when all things will be decided.

No comments:

Post a Comment