Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Getting Lost in a Marble Maze


Video HERE

The idea for this project has been running around my head since I came across an old ball bearing amongst a joblot of junk. I don't have a plan to show you because it depends on the relative size of your marble, but I have a few pointers...
  • Draw out a grid slightly larger than your marble and use those lines to draw your maze on.
  • You should choose either tricky paths and dead ends or pitfalls, I used both in excess, which makes the maze closer to impossible than I would like.
  • When gluing your walls to the foundation be sure that the marble runs freely, or you will have to file and adjust.
  • Check again after adding paint or finish.
  • If you want to re-use your marble then leave an open exit - I did and have since lost the ball, so I would suggest closing it inside..
  • My decision to make a double-sided maze added extra difficulty here, with the ball dropping through rather than just into the oubliette and my attempt to fix the problem with a sheet of paper just caught the ball every time it fell through and made it difficult to retrieve.
  • I like the idea of carrying the ball around the side rather than dropping through, and I intend to design a maze cube for the future.
I have more maze ideas for the future, so watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment