Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Pallet Wood Super-Jointed Box

Video HERE

Yes, this looks simple from the outside, but I can assure you it was the most frustrating piece of woodworking I've attempted thus far.

The first frustration came when trying to work out how to fit joints together in 3 dimensions. I will scan in my plan when I have a chance. My intention was for the simplest possible pattern with the minimum of different pieces... and I ended up with just a 2-pattern plan, which suited me just fine.

[Image here]

As I cut each of the 8 pieces I fit them together to make sure the cuts were near enough - and I only needed to trim once before the sanding began... lots and lots of sanding.

Initially I marked and shaped the inner joints of the moving parts with a blade, then turned to a scroll saw sanding strip for the rest, which certainly made the job easier. I did not intend to really work the pallet wood, I wanted the rougher feel - within reason - so I only worked the faces enough to take off the worst splinters and dirt.

I debated whether to use leather to make hinges, but ended up drilling in dowels instead - I also added more dummy dowels so that it is difficult to see where hinges and openings are. This technique should be useful next time I try a puzzle box like this and attempt a puzzle lock as well.

With that rough finish I decided on a burned texture and set about things with a candle. Yes, it was tedious and long winded, but I do not have a torch or burner - and I prefer this method as it's easier to control the overall burn.

Points to remember:
  • ALWAYS have some water handy.
  • NEVER do this indoors (somewhere well-ventilated, preferably away from expensive furnishings)
  • Keep the wood in the dark spot of the candle flame, too low will smother the wick, too high just collects smuts.
  • If the wood catches fire, watch it carefully - it will burn itself out, just angle the wood to slow its progress.
  • You SHOULD wear lung protection - particularly if the wood is dark, resinous or has been treated.

Once satisfied I gave the whole thing a firm brush over to get rid of any charcoal, then a last sanding to 120 grit and a layer of wax before spray varnish.

I am in the process of making up the puzzle to go inside this box, it will be a word-based puzzle. I was tempted to draw it inside with pyrography, but I think it would be better to have one that can be changed. Once I have the first set made I will add it down here...


No comments:

Post a Comment