Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Scroll Saw Saga - Free-Standing 'Puzzle' Puzzle





Video HERE

Once again I'm diving into an excessively complex project... but that seems to be the way I roll!

Starting with a rough sketch, I designed the puzzle using cantilevered pieces so that -hopefully- it will stand, and even build upright.

[Pattern to follow, when the scanner is up and running]


  1. I first picked a piece of knot-free wood (former bathroom cabinet top) and sanded off the finish, then stuck the pattern onto a solid space between the slots then covered it with tape.*
  2. Starting with a fine spiral blade was probably a mistake, after breaking 3 I switched to a thick reverse-tooth blade to cut off the excess and make a few relief cuts before going back to the spiral.
  3. Once cut I placed all the pieces back together and realized that a free-standing puzzle was now unlikely... so, Intarsia.
  4. Much sanding was done. Being particular about rounding over the edges to create a bigger separation between pieces.
  5. Using stirring sticks, nails and pieces of card I glued the pieces together at different heights to create movement.
  6. After a base coat of white acrylic I painted each piece in a different colour.

*Whether this actually makes the sawing any easier I am yet to be convinced, but it certainly helps to keep the pattern in place.

As a project this was a failure, but as an exploration of a different craft it was -yet again- a learning experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment